Republikon Institute along with the European Liberal Forum (ELF) are pleased to invite you to our internal roundtable discussion on "Populism ante portas! - Toward successful strategies of countering populism".
The panel discussion will focus on the rise of populist political actors and the possible liberal strategies of countering populist tendencies. While the election of President Donald Trump triggered serious concerns about the future of liberal democracies, the populist wave is not an unstoppable phenomenon. The repeated Austrian presidential election and the recent French election proved that populist forces can be overthrow if the supporters of liberal democracy unite. In order to understand the effective strategy against populist, illiberal politicians and parties, it is inevitable thus to learn from the successes and failures of contemporary liberal democratic forces. To achieve this goal, we would like to discuss this topic with representatives of liberal and democratic parties and ask them for sharing their experiences and drawing up effective strategies against populism.
Date of the event: 23rd May 2017 | 15:00 – 17:00
Venue of the vent: Magvető Café | 1074 Budapest, Dohány street 13
15:00: Introductory remarks
• Csaba Tóth | ELF Board member, Director of Strategy at Republikon Institute, Hungary
15:20 Discussion with
• Kester Eddy | independent journalist (Financial Times, Business New Europe)
• Dr Stefan Gara | Representative of NEOS
• Dominik Kwiatkowski | Secretary of Nowoczesna in Pomerania, party leader in Gdansk
• Zoltán Pogátsa | political economist, lecturer at the University of West Hungary
• István Szent-Iványi | Former Member of the European Parliament, advisor at MLP
• Dániel Mikecz | research fellow at MTA and Republikon Institute, lecturer at ELTE
17:00: Finger buffet/ End of the event
Working language: English
Participation is free of charge but requires registration.
You can register here: email@example.com.